- Digital Forensics Certificate
- Criminal Justice (AS)
- Criminology Emphasis (BA)
- Criminology Emphasis (BS)
- Digital Forensics Emphasis (BA)
- Digital Forensics Emphasis (BS)
Criminal Justice Bachelor’s Degree Learning Goals and Outcomes
Core Program Goal #1:
Provide a Base Knowledge of the Criminal Justice System
- Define the major components of the criminal justice system and the fundamental processes that take place therein.
- Explain the vital role each branch plays in order for the criminal justice system as a whole to perform its proper function.
- Identify the responsibilities and challenges faced by professionals working in the principle branches of the criminal justice system.
- Discuss the process of the development, enforcement, reformation, and behavior of law.
Core Program Goal #2:
Communicate the Scientific Pursuit of the Causes of Criminal Behavior
- List the major criminological theories that have been developed to describe the root causes of criminality.
- Define the causal arguments outlined by these fundamental theories.
- Compare and contrast varying theoretical frameworks.
- Understand basic methodological techniques employed in past and current research done on the causes of criminal behavior and the interworkings of the criminal justice system.
- Identify and interpret research that illuminates the strengths and weaknesses of current criminal justice policy, as well as research that attempts to reveal the causes of criminal behavior.
Specific Goals for the Emphasis in Criminology
Criminology Emphasis Goal #1: Develop Critical Thinking Skills in Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Distinguish personal views from knowledge based on empirical research that addresses criminal behavior and the criminal justice system.
- Connect real, diverse facts to criminological theories.
- Collect and use empirical evidence in drawing conclusions and in practice.
- Apply problem solving strategies to create solutions to the many challenges faced by those working in and controlled by the criminal justice system.
Criminology Emphasis Goal #2:
Application of Criminology and the Study of Criminal Justice
- Use criminological theory and crime trends to address criminal behavior within certain contexts.
- Evaluate the costs and benefits of criminal justice programs and policies.
- Identify key applied areas in the discipline and determine whether an applied specialty can provide a solution for a given problem.
- Apply criminological theory and proper research methods to varying criminal behaviors or functions within the criminal justice system.
Specific Goals for the Emphasis in Digital Forensics
Digital Forensics Emphasis Goal #1:
Extend the Criminal Justice Base Knowledge Set by Exploring the Subset of Crimes Known as Cybercrimes
- Understand current technologies, and how these are misused to commit cybercrime.
- Differentiate cybercrime from other criminal activity by using computer base knowledge and current case studies
- Explore the problems faced by criminal justice professionals through the examination of the yet to be solved challenges resulting from the emergence and proliferation of cybercrime.
- Apply problem solving strategies and sound research to create solutions to the many challenges faced by those dealing with cybercrimes and cybercriminals.
- Digital Forensics Emphasis Goal #2: Application of Digital Forensic Tools and Methodologies for Use in Criminal Justice Proceedings
- Understand different digital forensic methodologies and the correlation of those methodologies for the various environments and situations that can be encountered.
- Evaluate the costs and benefits of the application of digital forensic to court proceedings.
- Know the place digital forensics holds in present criminal justice activity and identify trends that can predict new aspects that will become important in the future.
- Identify each phase of the digital forensic process and apply each phase to current technologies in such a manner that will result in admissible evidence.